A European Union, through Article 3 its Regulation (EU) nº 508/2014, sets limits between artisanal and industrial fishing, mainly through the length of the boats and regarding the use of certain fishing gear. Polo both, all fishing carried out by vessels of greater length 12 gear meters or not referred to as handmade by the EU, They fall within given name Fishing Industrial.
No case of Spain, There is a wide variety of fleets, with different fishing gear and boats typologies. Many of these fleets are considered Industrial, although his work on board is mostly manual and sale their catch is fresh in fish markets.
When one thinks of Industrial Fishing, usually think of big boats. In Galicia, Fishing Industrial or semi-industrial stars Companies mostly family, that allocate almost all catches human consumption, so many of the problems of artisanal fisheries are also common to the rest of the Galician fleet known as Industrial Fishing.
This study covers the economic activity of vessels with a length greater 12 meters, as well as the chain of transformation of its raw material once landfall, not including its marketing.
The current configuration of the Social Economy in Spain is determined by adoption of the Law 5/2011, do 29 of March, da Social Economy, representing a major exchange for visibility and sector development.
In Galicia is the Law 6/2016, do 4 May, Social Economy Galicia, to start marking a new stage in the Galician Government makes a commitment to this model. The law itself defines Social Economy follows: “The social economy encompasses a set of economic and business activities in the private sector who carry out entities pursuing, well the collective interest of the people it is made, well the general economic interest or social, or both, showing the day day as a key player in the development of modern society”.
The guiding principles of the Economy Social are that collects the Law 6/2016, and we spent describe:
"The social economy entities, inspired values poles mutual aid, responsibility, democracy, equality, equity, solidarity, honesty,
transparency, autonomy, self-management, social responsability and concern for others, are informed by the following guiding principles:
- A primacy of people and the social order on capital, that a specific and autonomous management transparent, democratic and participatory, which leads to prioritize decision making more depending on the people and their contributions of work and services to the entity, or depending on the order social, that in relation to their contributions to share capital.
- A application of the results of economic activity, mainly depending on the work and approached the service or activity performed by the partners and the partners or the persons comprising, if case, to end social object of the organization, the service of achieving objectives such as sustainable development, the interest of the service members and the general interest.
- The promotion of internal solidarity and society it favors commitment to local development, equal opportunities men and women, to social cohesion, to cooperation, inserting people with disabilities and those at risk or suffering from social exclusion social, job creation and stable quality, the reconciliation of personal life, family and work and more sustainability.
- A two public powers independence.
- O commitment co territory, front depopulation and aging in rural galician, injecting stability and future.
- The strengthening of institutional and economic democracy.
Entities of Social Economy, are those that collect the Law 6/2016 Economy Social Galicia:
- Cooperatives Galician.
- Foundations and associations to carry out economic activity.
- Labor Societies.
- Insertion Companies.
- Special Job Centers.
- Fishermen's Associations.
- Agricultural processing companies.
- Communities and Associations of Land Mountains Common.
- Singular entities created by specific rules that are governed by the values and guiding principles set forth herein, as long as a developed economic and business activity. </br></br>
 Industrial vs Fleet Artisanal fleet. Myths and realities. CACT-ARVI 2017